Prince William and Princess Catherine have been spotted at Balmoral, joining other members of the Royal Family for their traditional summer gathering in Scotland.
The Prince and Princess of Wales reportedly arrived at the royal estate earlier this week to begin their family holiday. King Charles and Queen Camilla are already staying at Balmoral, while several other relatives have also made their way to the Scottish residence.
Princess Anne, Zara and Mike Tindall, Prince Edward and James, Earl of Wessex, were all photographed arriving at the estate by car on Friday morning.
William and Catherine have brought their three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, along for the summer break. The family were photographed travelling around the estate in their Land Rover Discovery.
According to a source quoted by the newspaper, members of the family spent time grouse shooting near Corgarff Castle, which is roughly a 30-minute drive from Balmoral.
Having so many senior members of the Royal Family together at the Scottish estate is relatively unusual. Their gathering has reportedly been labelled the “Sussex summit” following this week’s unexpected reports that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are preparing to return to Britain before the end of the month.
The Tindall family had already been spotted at Balmoral earlier in the week. Zara and Mike joined their children on Tuesday to watch King Charles receive his traditional formal welcome to the estate.
Newlyweds Peter and Harriet Phillips were also present with members of their blended family, including Harriet’s daughter Georgina and Peter’s daughters, Savannah and Isla.
READ MORE: Why Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Are Really Returning to Britain After Six Years Away
A summer trip to Balmoral has long been a tradition for Prince William, Princess Catherine and their children, who regularly spend part of their annual break at the Scottish estate. However, it remains unclear how long the Wales family plans to stay there this year.
Some reports suggest that William and Catherine may have reached Balmoral as early as Wednesday evening—the same day news of Prince Harry’s planned return to Britain emerged publicly. King Charles, however, is understood to have been told about the Sussexes’ plans three days before the announcement.
The Prince and Princess of Wales have so far made no public comment on the development. Charles, meanwhile, is reportedly positive about the prospect of having Harry and his family closer, particularly as it could provide more opportunities for them to spend time together.
According to HELLO!‘s royal editor Emily Nash, William and Catherine are unlikely to be particularly pleased by the news, suggesting the couple may be “not delighted” about Harry’s imminent return.
Speaking on HELLO!‘s A Right Royal Podcast, Emily Nash pointed to the noticeable lack of any response from William and Catherine’s camp following the reports.
“Well, what is intriguing about this is the complete radio silence coming from that end of the spectrum,” she said.
Nash noted that the Waleses would normally be enjoying their summer break away from public duties at this point in the year, making it difficult to know exactly how they have reacted privately.
“And what’s interesting about it is that they’re normally away at this time of year. I imagine they’re not delighted about this,” she added.
King Charles is understood to have learned about Harry and Meghan’s plans to return to Britain on Sunday. This suggests the proposed move may not have been discussed when the Sussexes privately reunited with the monarch at Highgrove last month.
The latest development comes more than six years after Harry and Meghan stepped away from their positions as working members of the Royal Family in 2020. They subsequently settled in Montecito, California, where they began building an independent life and pursued major commercial partnerships, including deals with Netflix and Spotify.
News of the Sussexes’ unexpected relocation emerged on Wednesday and immediately sparked a fresh wave of questions. Among the biggest issues are what their return could mean for Harry’s already strained relationship with Prince William and how the family’s security arrangements in Britain will be funded.
Harry and Meghan are reportedly preparing to relocate to the UK with Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet before the end of the month. Archie, seven, and Lili, five, are said to have already been enrolled at British schools and are expected to begin classes in early September.
The move will not mean completely abandoning their life overseas. The couple reportedly intend to retain their properties in Montecito, California, and Portugal, while Meghan will continue overseeing her lifestyle brand, As Ever, from their new British base.
Several important details, however, remain unclear. The reason behind the timing of their return has not been disclosed, their new UK residence has yet to be revealed, and there are still unanswered questions surrounding who will cover the cost of their security.
Meghan Markle has spent much of the past six years building a life and public…
Prince William and Princess Catherine are expected to adopt strict measures to protect the future…
Zara Tindall will make a rare public appearance at a major royal-linked event next month…
Prince George has officially entered his teenage years! The eldest son of Prince William and…
Catherine, Princess of Wales is set to attend Wimbledon Championships this afternoon to watch the…
Despite spending much of the weekend completing her impressive Three Peaks challenge, Catherine, Princess of…